Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act

This is a federal civil rights law that protects the rights of students with physical or mental impairments that substantially limit a major life activity.  This law directs recipients of federal funds to make programs and activities accessible to all persons with disabilities.  Section 504 has three areas of emphasis: employment; facility accessibility; and requirements for preschool, elementary and secondary education programs/activities. This page focuses solely on students.

If you feel your child may qualify for services under this program contact your student’s building principal.  The Principal will then take steps to convene a team of individuals who are knowledgeable about your child to determine, based on evaluation data, if your child qualifies under 504 and whether a 504 Plan is warranted.

Parents have the right to:

  1. Participation of your child in school district programs and activities, including extracurricular programs and activities, to the maximum extent appropriate, free of discrimination based upon the student’s disability and at the same level as students without disabilities.
  2. Receipt of free educational services to the extent they are provided students without disabilities.
  3. Receipt of information about your child and your child’s educational programs and activities in your native language.
  4. Notice of identification of your child as having a qualifying disability for which accommodations may need to be made and notice prior to evaluation and placement of your child and right to periodically request a e-evaluation of your child.
  5. Inspect and review your child’s educational records including a right to copy those records for a reasonable fee; you also have a right to ask the school district to amend your child’s educational records if you feel the information in the records is misleading or inaccurate; should the school district refuse to amend the records, you have a right to a hearing and to place an explanatory letter in your child’s file explaining why you feel the records are misleading or inaccurate.
  6. A hearing before an impartial hearing officer if you disagree with your child’s evaluation or placement; you have a right to counsel at the hearing and have the decision of the impartial hearing officer reviewed.